CMHC Green Home | Mortgage Insurance Rebate
CMHC, the Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation, offers a program promoting energy efficient home constructions called "Green Home". When you build or purchase a new home, or if you substantially renovate your home with energy efficiency improvements you may be eligible for a refund on the cost of mortgage loan insurance. This refund scales up to 25% of the mortgage insurance premium.
You can see the current program details here on the CMHC website.
Homes built under eligible building standards
|Building Standard||Insurance Refund|
|LEED Canada for Homes||15%|
Homes renovated for energy efficiency
If you purchase an existing home and make energy efficient improvements the process begins with arranging to have it assessed by an energy advisor licensed with Natural Resources Canada. Your advisor will measure your home’s efficiency.
|EnerGuide GJ/Year Rating||Insurance Refund|
|At least 15% lower than a “Typical New Home”||15%|
|At least 40% lower than a “Typical New Home”||25%|
- You must have purchased or constructed a new energy efficient home and purchase mortgage loan insurance from CMHC.
- You must be renovating an existing home with energy efficient upgrades.
How to Apply
- Purchase or construct a new home built to eligible building standards or Purchase an existing home and make energy efficiency improvements.
- Complete the application form and submit by either:
Fax: 1 800 245-9274
Or Mail: CMHC, 700 Montreal Road (Suite 1000),Ottawa, ON, K1A 0P7
- Include with your application the CMHC eligible energy-efficient building standard certificate, or the first page of the EnerGuide performance report showing the EnerGuide rating of the house.
- Allow at least 6 weeks for your application to be processed. If you are eligible for refund, a cheque will be mailed to you directly at the address you provided.
- Application must be submitted within 24 months of the closing date of the mortgage.
- Supporting energy efficiency documentation can be no more than 5 years old.